On Mon Nov  7 2011 11:10, Walter Haidinger wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Trying to upgrade to 5.0 fails with a kernel panic
> (vmt0, see dmesg below). Previous 4.9 worked fine,
> also 5.0 bsd.rd boots (dmesg below too).
>
> The VMware Tools driver seems to miss something -
> "vmt0: failed to open backdoor RPC channel (TCLO protocol)" -
> which is correct, as OpenBSD is _not_ run inside a VMware
> virtual machine but in a Linux KVM (Kernel 3.0.4,
> qemu-kvm 0.15.1).
>
> Is this a known problem? Searching for vmt on misc@
> did not show anything.

I don't know either. But, you could try to disable the vmt(4) driver at
boot. At the boot prompt, type "boot -c" to trigger the UKC. At the UKC prompt,
type "disable vmt". Then type "quit". If your system boots up without errors,
you can preserve this setting by using config(8):

sudo /usr/sbin/config -e -f /bsd

and typing "disable vmt" again. Save this by typing "quit".

Good luck,
Norman.