Hi Thomas,

Thomas de Grivel wrote on Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 03:32:03PM +0100:

> From weekly output :

>> Rebuilding whatis databases:
>> /usr/libexec/makewhatis: Can't create /usr/share/man/whatis.db:
>> Read-only file system

> Should not whatis.db be in /var/... ?

I think you have a point.  Specifically, /var/db/man/.
Having cron(8) scripts write to /usr is ugly.
I don't see why mounting /usr readonly should require
disabling makewhatis(8).

Right now, Kristaps and myself are rewriting makewhatis(8) and
apropos(1) anyway, the databases will be renamed from whatis.db
to mandoc.db and mandoc.index, and their format will be completely
different, using db(3) instead of plain text.  That might be a good
time to move variable content out of /usr.

At the apropriate time, i'll bring this up among developers.
Please be patient for a few months, but remind me when you see
a commit to src/etc/weekly or src/usr.sbin/pkg_add enabling
mandocdb(8), but nothing happened regarding the placement of
mandoc databases before that.  Regarding the latter, watch
out for commits to src/usr.bin/mandoc/mandocdb.h, where the
paths used by mandocdb(8) and apropos(1) are defined; or, in
case we redesign that, to src/usr.bin/mandoc/mandocdb.c and
src/usr.bin/mandoc/apropos_db.c, where these paths are used.

I'm not going to move whatis.db files around at this point.
They are close to retirement, anyway.

Thanks for bringing this up,
  Ingo