On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 10:14:44AM -0500, Ted Unangst wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 19, 2011, Carson Chittom wrote:
> > Thomas de Grivel <tho...@lowh.net> writes:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> From weekly output :
> >> Read-only file system
> >>
> >> Should not whatis.db be in /var/... ?
> >>
> >> From hier(7) :
> >>
> >> Is it really a manual page ?
> >
> > Shouldn't the index of manual pages be with the manual pages?
>
> Should /etc/passwd be stored in /home instead?
>
> I think a readonly (or NFS shared) /usr is supposed to work, so anything
> that's regularly written should be in /var.  That's what /var is for,
> after all.

Under normal circumstances, /usr/share/man/whatis.db is NOT written to:
makewhatis(8) does not even try to write the file if it didn't change.

That particular problem only triggers after you upgrade your system if
/usr is mounted read-only.  That's one reason it's done at the end of
make build: once you're done, you can remount /usr read-only.