On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 04:31:57PM +0100, Ingo Schwarze wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Thomas de Grivel wrote on Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 03:32:03PM +0100:
>
> > From weekly output :
>
> >> Rebuilding whatis databases:
> >> /usr/libexec/makewhatis: Can't create /usr/share/man/whatis.db:
> >> Read-only file system
>
> > Should not whatis.db be in /var/... ?
>
> I think you have a point.  Specifically, /var/db/man/.
> Having cron(8) scripts write to /usr is ugly.
> I don't see why mounting /usr readonly should require
> disabling makewhatis(8).

I disagree: manpage directories are self-contained.

If I add or remove a directory to my man configuration, it shouldn't require
a rebuild of the database for other directories. Hence having a whatis.db
per-man directory root.

If you want to move those to /var/db/man or something, you'd better be
prepared to have database file names that depend on the root directory
being used.