James Hozier <guitars...@yahoo.com> writes:

> I ran into an error trying to install Firefox (I think the latest
> version in Ports is 8.0.1) so I thought I might be updating
> incorrectly.

If you want such a recent firefox, use -current, not -stable.

> First, this is the error I get when I try to install Firefox:
>
> # cd /usr/ports/www/mozilla-firefox/
> # /home/jay/ports/install.sh

Nah. Use packages.
ftp://ftp.usa.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/5.0/packages/i386/firefox-5.0p3.tgz

[snip]

> For some reason it's trying to install some obscure version of
> Firefox instead of the latest.

You have a -stable ports tree.

> I performed this on a default install of 5.0 after updating. Here's
> how I update my system:

[snip]

There's no point in upgrading your full system every week. -stable only
gets security updates.

--
Jeremie Courreges-Anglas - GPG ID 0x06A11494