On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 5:17 PM, James Hozier <guitars...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]

Correct.

However, you can't seem to fully account for the status of the downloaded
tree.  So as Ingo, I would treat whatever you currently have on your system
as suspect.  Personally, I would recommend getting the tree again as you
could be in the weeds wasting a lot of time.

Likewise, if you study the check-in history for Firefox:

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ports/www/mozilla-firefox/Makefile

You will see that the OPENBSD_5_0 tag at revision 1.187.  Firefox 6.0
wasn't checked into the ports tree until 1.188.  This means that for
Firefox 5 is the only version available to OpenBSD 5.0-release & -stable.
If you want a newer version, you will have to run -current.

> Also, would it be a bad idea to use both Ports and Packages?

You don't seem to understand how the packages/ports system works.  The
output of compiling ports is packages -- the very same packages which can
be found on the mirrors.  So there is nothing to be gained by compiling
ports for -release or -stable unless there have been security fixes or
other changes checked into the ports tree.  The above link show both
OPENBSD_5_0 & OPENBSD_5_0_BASE tags on revision 1.187 of the Makefile used
to build the Firefox port so nothing has changed for 5.0-release or -stable
since 5.0 was released.  All changes to Firefox, versions 6.0, 7.0, & 8.0,
have taken place in -current only.