On 2011-12-22, Corey <clinge...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/21/2011 06:46 PM, Stuart Henderson wrote:

>>> Out of curiosity, is this more efficient and/or less loading on the
>>> servers than downloading the iso (assuming one installs all sets)?
>> Doesn't make a lot of difference server-side but I know it's a lot
>> easier for me to boot a different kernel and point it at a (possibly
>> locally mirrored or pre-downloaded) set of files than it is to
>> download an iso, burn a cd and boot from it - I imagine this is
>> the case for most people.
>>

> Ah...ok. I'm usually following -current on only one or two machines, so
> I never really thought of setting up a local mirror (though there may be
> other advantages to doing that). How do you keep your local file mirror
> in sync with newer kernels/snapshots? Or do you do the local repo and
> the kernel somewhat independently, and just try new kernels (and read
> release notes) and see if stuff breaks?

I rsync base OS snapshots for the arches I'm interested in from a cron
job (with --exclude=install*.iso because I don't need it) to a local
directory which I serve to lan machines via http.

I typically do the 'untar sets on a running system' method of upgrading
on the local mirror, on other machines it varies, either boot a new
bsd.rd and do 'upgrade' or untar on a running system, whichever I'm
feeling like at the time.

For packages I just update directly from one of the public mirrors.