On 27 February 2012 16:38, Kaya Saman <kayasa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this is my first posting here :-)
>

> I have currently only used OpenBSD as a test vector setup on VirtualBox
> and 2x Sun Fire V240's as a DNS server (master/slave) using Bind9. So
> basically in short am an OpenBSD newbee :-)
>

> Ok so here goes;
>
> I've been using FreeBSD for around 3+ years now and really enjoy it, in
> comparing OpenBSD to FreeBSD I first would like to get some user
> experience of the major advantages over it. From my reading it's meant
> to be more secure, from my (vastly) limited experience it's quite
> different to work with then FreeBSD.
> -Could anyone give me any summarized answers to compare the two?
>

> Now here comes the major project....
>
> For the last past 4 years or so I've been hosting various OpenSource
> projects from home and have a setup similar to the OpenBSD rack pics on
> the openbsd.org site :-)
>
> To fill the role of router I have used till now, a Cisco 857, 877, and
> 1801 all of who's power I've managed to max out!! :-(
>
> As a qualified Cisco engineer but also budding UNIX engineer/enthusiast
> I've come to understand that Cisco boxes are underpowered and
> overpriced!!!! Graphing the Cisco's using SNMP and RRD tools using
> Cacti, the CPU's tend to max-out after the TCP/IP flows start reaching
> 1000+ and so goes the memory too. Then I loose all kind of connectivity
> as the router either crashes or becomes unstable.
>
> So I would like to build a router out of a Quad Core Xeon system. I've
> selected the hardware for it already and the software barring the base OS.

You want the highest cache and highest frequency cpu you can find.
MP will not help you with routing performance at all.

> The hardware will run a socket 1366 Xeon using a Supermicro system
> board. (I'm sure this will be 100% compatible with OpenBSD or FreeBSD
> whichever I chose)
>
> http://www.supermicro.nl/products/motherboard/Xeon3000/X58/X8SAX.cfm
>

> Additionally I would like to run a 5.25" LCD in the chassis front to
> monitor on the fly system output using Lcdproc - this is available on
> FreeBSD using ports but not sure about OpenBSD though I'm sure can be
> easily compiled if necessary.
>
> Something like the PicoLCD from Mini-Box or Matrix-Orbital displays or
> similar..... --actually I think VFD's are kinda cool but need to find a
> 5.25" one :-)
>
> I also would like to know if anyone knows of any ADSL2+ Annex M standard
> PCI (/x/) based modem card that I can use to connect to my ISP with
> instead of using an external device?
>
> So far in my search I came across this:
>
> http://linitx.com/viewcategory.php?catid=47
>
> Of which manufacturers seem to be:
>
> http://www.rocksolidelectronics.com/pages/products.php
>

> Are these going to be OpenBSD compatible or are there others???
>

> Does anyone know of a VDSL2 solution like this also?
>

> For software I plan to use Quagga/Zebra which should be in the ports or
> compatible easily coupled with NAT, ACL's, Firewall using PF or so....

In OpenBSD there are actually usable routing daemons, OpenBGPD,
OpenRIPD and OpenOSPFD.

> In this case comparing FreeBSD, what's OpenBSD's performance like for
> Firewall/IDS/IPS systems??

That's something only you can test, there are tons of variables in place here.

> Is OpenBSD compatible with Cisco VTP and STP to trunk VLANs to Cisco
> switches?

I'm not familiar with VTP, the rest will be fine.

> I did discover this already:
>
> http://fengnet.com/book/icuna/ch05lev1sec5.html
>
> so it would seem so, however I do not know if link-aggregation would
> work?? As in Cisco Etherchannel to multiple ports on the router.

Yep, trunk will work fine with a cisco.

> There are many more questions I have but will refrain from asking at
> this phase as most of them can be got round by researching; like Cisco
> IPSEC/GRE VPN compatibility et el.....
>

> i think am just worried about the ADSL2 modem card mainly as most of the
> above can be got over with testing and trying things out :-)
>

> It's just a pain that a Cisco 2901 for example as claimed by Cisco can
> only route at 75Mbps (ok routing uses PPS but wirespeed is not available
> unless going carrier grade). Especially now that companies are slowly
> starting to release Residential Fiber networks upto 1Gbps... would
> render the Cisco's maxed-out power wise.

With a decent hardware, I think you can reach 1mpps (that's million
packets per second).

> I know there are a lot of questions here but am hoping that some of them
> can be answered or at least advise given pre-testing :-)
>

> Many thanks and best regards,
>

> Kaya

Good luck