On 2012-02-28, Kaya Saman <kayasa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was planning on getting a 2901 with VDSL2/ADSL2/2+ Annex M card and 8
> port Gb switch card. But after careful consideration I decided against
> it as it would issue the same problems for me and be more expensive then
> going down the OpenBSD route as discussed previously.
>
> Also 75Mbps is mentioned by Cisco for the 2900 series:
>
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps10537/data_sheet_c78_553896.html
>

> which is pathetic as in the UK fiber networks are slowly becoming more
> available to the masses - in terms of offerings of up to 1Gbps are
> available for round #50/month ($75/month (US)).

For the current deployments in the UK the VDSL modem (FTTC) or ONT (for
FTTP) is provided by BT, the demarc point is their ethernet interface
which speaks pppoe. I have OpenBSD boxes running with both of these
now (and you can get 1500 MTU in -current / 5.1 as long as your
network interface supports jumbo frames).

> Even a VDSL2 solution offers up to 100Mbps - depending on distance
> between local loop and CPE.... but I'm sure that the 2900 series or 800
> series VDSL provisioned ISR would struggle to meet those speeds.
>
> Couple that with 1000+ TCP/IP flows through UDP or TCP packet
> transactions and any **standard** branch based ISR wouldn't be able to
> cope :-(

Yep. I think they may cope in some conditions but for real-world usage
they are going to run out of steam with this type of line speed.

>> The OpenBSD routing daemons are pretty good. Other than that for
>> open-source routing there are some circumstances where BIRD running on
>> Linux might be useful (personally I can't stand the config but I'd
>> rather run this than Quagga..).
>
> Coming from FreeBSD background I didn't know of the OpenBSD integration
> with routing etc... so thanks for the 'wake up call' :-)

We have route priorities, multiple routing tables, MPLS, LDP, pretty
decent BGP support including IP-VPN (OpenBGPd is run at a number
of places including some busy internet exchange points as route-
servers). Yes the routing support is pretty good as far as open-source
OS go :)

> Cool..... as once my design is physically built and established I will
> look at building a PPPoE server and getting a Zyxell cheap DSLAM for
> #150 (GB) + line cards and emulate an ISP using my would be then
> redundant Cisco DSL routers......

You'll have to build it from source for now (it's not fully integrated
with the OS yet), but /usr/src/usr.sbin/npppd is a decent daemon for
L2TP LNS and PPPoE.

You may already know this but you can get BT (21cn/20cn)/Be ADSL
and Three 3g presented as an L2TP feed by some UK ISPs.

> Huge project I know but that's what keeps me going :-)

enjoy (: