On 27 February 2012 17:12, Kaya Saman <kayasa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So I would like to build a router out of a Quad Core Xeon system. I've
> selected the hardware for it already and the software barring the base OS.
>

>> You want the highest cache and highest frequency cpu you can find.
>> MP will not help you with routing performance at all.
>>

> Something like this:
>
> http://ark.intel.com/products/53580/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E7-8870-%2830M-Cache-2_40-GHz-6_40-GTs-Intel-QPI%29
>
> 30MB cache @ 2.4GHz
>

> However this does raise the question, 32bit or 64bit??? And what would be

amd64, wow I had no idea such cpu was out already, I'm not sure if
anyone ever tried running openbsd on such cpu.

> the benefit for having multi CPU sockets or cores???

Almost none for "routing purposes", the kernel is big locked and all
interrupts go to cpu0, so this basically means: You'll be routing
packets on cpu0 *only*.

But you'll get the benefit of of having the userland processes running
on multiple cpus, so if you're basically routing/filtering with pf, MP
won't make much difference.

> --I mean for an integrated Firewall/router yes one can offload processes and
> threads per core or socket

Userland process will benefit from MP when running in userland,
they'll get the biglock when doing a system call. You only have one
process running in kernel land at-a-time.

> With this though I'm betting that a Core2Quad Q8400s CPU (which I currently
> run on a FreeBSD based Mini-NAS mainframe) will be more powerful then any
> Cisco SMB based router? - I can see it being more powerful then my 8xx or
> 18xx series in anycase!

I don't know cisco, it's all about how much data you need to route.
But if you were concerned about 75mbps, even my sun ultra 5 400mhz can
do more than that.

Do the math, I'd guess you can do *at least* 300mpps with any fairly
modern cpu.
Now do 300mpps * 1500bytes, that's your throughput for full sized packets.

You may want to read this:

http://www.undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20111014060000

> Most DIY/Linux router boxes all seem to run Mini-ITX hardware on Intel ATOMs
> or VIA processors or Vyatta running standard x86 Multi-core architecture for
> their appliances; how does this relate to the equation?

Those are very weak processors, again, it's all about how much pps you need.