* Marcin <mig...@gmail.com> [2012-04-17 08:59]:
> I am looking for a hardware recommendation for a new OpenBSD based
> firewalls. So far I have been using IBM x336s, but they are slowly
> approaching end of life.
>
> What I am after:
> * 1U i386/amd64 server,
> * 2 sockets,

what for? unless you run extremely heavy userland proxies, you don't
get much (any) benefit, especially given that the one-socket machines
are all 4core now.

> * RAID 1 SAS/SATA controller (2 hard drives are enough)

what for? that increases complexity and thus chance to fail with no
benefit. you have no precious data on those disks and have two
machines.

I'm very happy with Supermicro X9SC* based systems, with Xeon E3-1220
and an Intel SSD. Check with your local supplier for exact model
options. Superior performance, 35W idle, no trouble whatsoever, fair
pricing.

--
Henning Brauer, h...@bsws.de, henn...@openbsd.org
BS Web Services, http://bsws.de, Full-Service ISP