On Tuesday, April 17, 2012 10:47 CEST, Henning Brauer <lists-open...@bsws.de>
wrote:

> * Sebastian Reitenbach <sebas...@l00-bugdead-prods.de> [2012-04-17 10:40]:
> > On Tuesday, April 17, 2012 09:35 CEST, Henning Brauer
> > <lists-open...@bsws.de> wrote:
> >
> > > * Marcin <mig...@gmail.com> [2012-04-17 08:59]:

> > > what for? unless you run extremely heavy userland proxies, you don't
> > > get much (any) benefit, especially given that the one-socket machines
> > > are all 4core now.

> > > what for? that increases complexity and thus chance to fail with no
> > > benefit. you have no precious data on those disks and have two
> > > machines.
> > >
> > > I'm very happy with Supermicro X9SC* based systems, with Xeon E3-1220
> > > and an Intel SSD. Check with your local supplier for exact model
> > > options. Superior performance, 35W idle, no trouble whatsoever, fair
> > > pricing.
> >
> > Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I was going to ask a very similar
> > question later today.
> > I've seen, some of those boards have IPMI interface, which would be one of
> > my requirements.
>
> I don't use their ipmi, all hail cereal consoles.

I thought about being able to power cycle the machine when it freezes that
hard, when it
may not drop into ddb. Otherwise yes, serial console would suffice, even
rebooting from
within ddb. I hope it may not happen at all, but who knows, hardware may be
faulty, and
weird things may happen ;)

> > The processor with its 4 cores should probably be fine handling a few
> > ftp-proxy and relayd.
>
> easily.
>
> > I'd like to put in two 10GB ethernet adapters, CX or fibre is still to be
> > decided. Looking
> > at the amd64.html page, I found the ixgb, ix, xge and tht supported.
> > Looking at the manual
> > pages, I'd probably go for the xge based cards, since they support checksum
> > offload and
> > VLAN tag insertion and stripping, to move some load from the CPU on to the
> > network cards.
>
> CPU cycles are not your problem really. memory bandwidth is another story.
OK good point, thanks.

> > I'd like to know if my assumption to the cards are right, and whether this
> > box would be able
> > to handle that kind of bandwidth the cards provide. It actually only needs
> > to handle about 3GB/s,
> > but don't want to start trunking GigaBit interfaces. Or if I'm wrong with
> > my assumptions,
> > if someone has good experience with other 10GbE adapters.
>
> it should, I think, but this is always a bit hard to predict.

Also here, thanks. I didn't expected to get around of a test, just wanted to
get a little bit
of confidence, I don't move into a totally wrong direction with my assumptions.

Sebastian