On Tuesday, April 17, 2012 09:35 CEST, Henning Brauer <lists-open...@bsws.de>
wrote:

> * Marcin <mig...@gmail.com> [2012-04-17 08:59]:
> > I am looking for a hardware recommendation for a new OpenBSD based
> > firewalls. So far I have been using IBM x336s, but they are slowly
> > approaching end of life.
> >
> > What I am after:
> > * 1U i386/amd64 server,
> > * 2 sockets,
>
> what for? unless you run extremely heavy userland proxies, you don't
> get much (any) benefit, especially given that the one-socket machines
> are all 4core now.
>
> > * RAID 1 SAS/SATA controller (2 hard drives are enough)
>
> what for? that increases complexity and thus chance to fail with no
> benefit. you have no precious data on those disks and have two
> machines.
>
> I'm very happy with Supermicro X9SC* based systems, with Xeon E3-1220
> and an Intel SSD. Check with your local supplier for exact model
> options. Superior performance, 35W idle, no trouble whatsoever, fair
> pricing.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I was going to ask a very similar question
later today.
I've seen, some of those boards have IPMI interface, which would be one of my
requirements.

The processor with its 4 cores should probably be fine handling a few ftp-proxy
and relayd.

I'd like to put in two 10GB ethernet adapters, CX or fibre is still to be
decided. Looking
at the amd64.html page, I found the ixgb, ix, xge and tht supported. Looking at
the manual
pages, I'd probably go for the xge based cards, since they support checksum
offload and
VLAN tag insertion and stripping, to move some load from the CPU on to the
network cards.

I'd like to know if my assumption to the cards are right, and whether this box
would be able
to handle that kind of bandwidth the cards provide. It actually only needs to
handle about 3GB/s,
but don't want to start trunking GigaBit interfaces. Or if I'm wrong with my
assumptions,
if someone has good experience with other 10GbE adapters.

cheers,
Sebastian