On 18 April 2012 19:04, Christian Weisgerber <na...@mips.inka.de> wrote:
> Alexei Malinin <alexei.mali...@mail.ru> wrote:
>
>> At a time when I listen to music on the xmms
>> and simultaneously begin to move any X window,
>> the sound stops. The sound resumes after finishing
>> of moving of the window .
>
> Yes. B For some window operations like moving or resizing windows,
> window managers (at least twm, fvwm, mwm) cause all window updates
> to stop, in turn causing applications to stop. B This is very
> noticeable with xterm and programs running in xterm. B As you have
> noticed, xmms also stops.

Window managers like twm and FVWM which hail from the days when moving
windows which were still mapped fully caused problems, would often
draw a window outline instead to represent the window.  During the
move/resize operation (leading to a huge round-trip of ConfigureNotify
events) these could be effectively ignored until the actual placement
of the window had been made, and then the window would redraw
correctly.

During the entire time the window is being moved though, the XServer
is grabbed.  This has the effect that all applications "stop" -- and
for most applications -- XMMS included -- this often means they're
interrupted since the events destined for the windows are queued
pending the eventual XServer ungrab.

To this end, FVWM solves this with OpaqueMove, as does TWM.

So I would say to the OP that he looks at the following TWM options:

NoGrabServer
OpaqueMove

-- Thomas Adam