"Rod Whitworth" <glis...@witworx.com> writes:

> I have had a stack of both sides of the invalid address email stuff for
> some time.
>
> I make all the ficticious addresses into spam traps. That way I punish
> the fools whose servers "return" mail whence it came not. They just get
> tarpitted and I don't care as they should be refusing to accept
> incoming mail which they cannot deliver.

Just like Rod describes here, I get a fair amount of goodness out of
some local greytrapping, where joejob-generated bounces serve as the
source of the bogus addresses. I *do* see some of the increased spam
volume delivered too, but then it's fairly easy to feed the offending IP
addresses into the local spamd-greytrap and serve them as training to
the bayesian beast.

http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20120604050025 and references
therein show a 'works for me' example config (although the first ruleset
block should really be discarded in favor of the second one, a true
brainfart if there ever was one), with some further field notes to be
found over at my blag.

- Peter
http://bsdly.blogspot.com/ http://www.bsdly.net/ http://www.nuug.no/