Maximo Pech [mak...@gmail.com] wrote:
> I said I can't code that.

If you already knew the answer was "write it", then you asked the wrong
question.

> I know that gnupg is in the ports tree, but it
> just seems strange to me that it isn't on the base system, because for me
> it sounds logical that if one of the key points of openbsd is cryptography,
> it would have a bsd tool like gnupg. The netpgp thing looks very cool, I
> didn't know about it.

Do you have any idea how abusrd this is?

> So my question is why there isn't a tool like that on base, I'm asking out
> of curiosity, maybe some historical, reason, technical... I'm not trying to
> point this as a fault, I just want to understand better the fact that gnupg
> or a bsd licensed equivalent isn't in the base system.

The original PGP program was mostly public domain. As time went on, it went to a
highly restrictive license. GnuPG, and later, NetPGP represent the people who
had desires to fix that problem. If you want to do it again, nobody will stop
you.

OpenSSH and OpenBSD IPsec represent the OpenBSD solutions to the quality and
licensing problems in those areas. OpenSSH is still the gold standard,
OCF/IPsec,
maybe not. PGP worked, was public domain, encrypts files, and solved one
problem.
Network layer encryption is an entirely different, and for many, a much more
important problem.