On 12/09/12 06:50, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Chris Cappuccio <ch...@nmedia.net> wrote:
,,,
>> OpenSSH and OpenBSD IPsec represent the OpenBSD solutions to the quality and
>> licensing problems in those areas. OpenSSH is still the gold standard,
>> OCF/IPsec,
>> maybe not. PGP worked, was public domain, encrypts files, and solved one
>> problem.
>> Network layer encryption is an entirely different, and for many, a much more
>> important problem.
>
> SSH is the gold standard: OpenSSH is the popular and effective
> freeware version, which did solve a number of issues.

i.e., the "better than gold standard".  Thanks for the clarification.  I
agree completely. :)

I've actually used an "appliance" which used ssh.com's SSH.  I suspect I
am in the vast minority in that regard.  That particular manufacturer
switched to OpenSSH in a later version of their products.  I talked to
them about why they used SSH.com's product (and had a separate license
key in place just for it) rather than OpenSSH.  It appears it was
something of an internal question; no one still there was quite sure why
they did that.

Nick.