So guys, I perfectly understand (and respect) how much many of you use and
value ed. As much as others have a repulsion for it, but this is not my
point:

I mean, with respect for all viewpoints, I'm far from starting a religion
war on "which is ur fave editor", but just trying to share a view on a
fundamental tool whose presence may make the difference to provide *quick*
answers in a disaster recovery scenario (and all those ones who felt the
"emotions" of such situations know how, under pressure, it's both easy to
make mistakes and hard to concentrate on man pages...).

As it emerged in the 1st answer by Miod, vi would be clearly off-limits for
any floppyXX.fs but not for bsd.rd which is usually loaded through CD or
Netboot.

So, considering that floppy size was the only main concern, why not just
putting it inside bsd.rd?

I am convinced that, after all, also the most skilled sysadmin would
appreciate changing that characters sequence at the 54th row on the fly,
rather than having to make calculations on how to (s)ed it without
compromising similar sequences scattered along the file. After all, while
tradition is always good, when shit hits the fan, higher technology is
definitely better ;)

Thanks