On 01/12/13 06:22, Paolo Aglialoro wrote:
> So guys, I perfectly understand (and respect) how much many of you use and
> value ed. As much as others have a repulsion for it, but this is not my
> point:

no, it's like the scissor jack and lug wrench in my Jeep.
If I get a flat tire on the side of the road, I'd really wish I had my
hydraulic floor jack with me, along with a spinner wrench or maybe even
my impact driver and sockets.

'cept...my Jeep has very limited storage...and a tire goes flat very
rarely.

But when it does... I have a few choices...
1) sit and cry, "I want my floor jack!"
2) wait a few hours for someone else to come and help me.
3) grab the lug wrench and scissor jack and be back on the road in 15
minutes.

ed isn't a contender in the "my favorite editor" contest.  I doubt
anyone uses it when another option is available for anything other than
practice.  But sometimes, you have a downed system, you need an editor,
you don't have a valid or known terminal config in place or enough
system running to use 'vi'.

I've had to rescue enough systems with invalid/unknown/messed up
terminal configurations that I'd never support REPLACEMENT of 'ed' with
a full screen editor.

Some day...you may need to, as well.  Spend 15 minutes, and become
capable with ed.  You don't need to be fluent...just capable of fixing
an /etc/fstab file, and other basic things.  Beats having people driving
by, laughing at you for sitting on the curb crying about the lack of
your favorite tool.

Nick.