On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 08:57:14AM +0000, James Griffin wrote:
> ----- rich...@thornton.net <rich...@thornton.net> [2013-02-21 00:29:45 +0000]
> ----- :
>
> > Is sendmail enabled by default?  If not, how do I do that?
>
> It's not enabled by default. And you need to copy
> /usr/share/sendmail/cf/openbsd-proto.mc to your hostname.mc; edit it
> with your requirements, then use make(1) on your hostname.mc file and
> copy the resulting hostname.cf file to /etc/mail/sendmail.cf.

NO, sendmail *is* enabled by default.  It has a minimal configuration that
just makes sure the daily/weekly/monthly emails reach some configuration.

In order to have to make it do something more, you have to change the
configuration indeed.

but for now, sendmail is on by default (even if useless for anything but
localhost), and it's also the default mailer, as /etc/mailer.conf shows.