On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 11:03:45AM -0400, Alan Corey wrote:
> On 4/14/13, Marc Espie <es...@nerim.net> wrote:
> > (besides 5.0 is no longer supported, so  you'll have to update that one
> > anyways).
> >

> This is ridiculous.  A whole year and a half and it's been abandoned.
> Look at how long FreeBSD or Debian supports their versions.  Back in
> the early 90's I used to play with Slackware, downloading each version
> onto floppies, bringing it home and installing it, usually just in
> time to do it all over with the next version.  I didn't know how to do
> much else with it, but I was learning.

Go on, give us some money. With enough funds, some developers may be
able to leave their day job and work fulltime on the project.

We just don't have the required manpower to support >2 releases at a time.

> Once again we're off on a tangent and I never got an answer to my
> question of how to mix ports and non-ports versions of things.
> Something like a way to uninstall a port without having to uninstall
> everything that depends on it.  Or replace a port from sources and
> leave everything else in place.

Oh, that was the question ? your answer was so long winded I didn't actually
see the point. Now that there's an actual CONCRETE question that isn't
buried: if something depends on a package, you can't uninstall it. You
can probably update it, which is what happens when you do updates.

You can very well roll your own package. After all, the pkg tools are
fully documented in that respect. But you can't expect to uninstall a
package and have stuff that depends on it still work.  So the easiest way,
seriously, is to create a newer package.  Don't fight the system.

If you really want to trash your system, that's easy. All the package
meta-info lives under /var/db/pkg, in pretty self-explanatory text files.

Twiddling dependencies and packing-lists is left as an exercise for the
astute reader.