Hi,

Damien Miller wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] djm]$ netstat -sp ip | grep -E '(bad.*checksum|total packets)'
        61092730 total packets received
        0 bad header checksums

wouldn't netstat -sp tcp | grep -E '(bad.*checksum|total packets)' give the output of interest?

(uptime 10 days on my slow ADSL link)
netstat -sp ip | grep -E '(bad.*checksum|total packets)'
        2448320 total packets received
        0 bad header checksums
netstat -sp tcp | grep -E '(bad.*checksum|total packets)'
                23 discarded for bad checksums
                0 bad/missing md5 checksums

Doesn't this mean that 23 errors were not detected by the link layer (probably because the errors were introduced some hops away from me) and only the TCP checksum catched them?

I hope you're right and it's not a reliability problem in practice.

regards,
Andreas