On 05/25/13 10:48, Patrick Mc(avery wrote:
Hi Everyone
[chop]
While about 7 out of the 9 years with Linux have been good, the graphical experience on Linux has plummeted for me. I don't really want to send prospective customers to Linux any more. I am fearing that Windows may end up being my only option.
Which Windows GUI is that?

Last version I liked was Windows 2000; XP was OK, 7 a disaster, and sounds like Microsoft are backpedaling on Windows 8 and the tile-based approach.

Not sure there is any perfect GUI - if you are looking for something exactly like Windows, then you are going to have Windows (but as I say, "Windows" is a moving target - you talking about XP, 7 or 8, or "Blue"?)

KDE 4 and Gnome 3 have been big jumps from their previous versions.

I've been through KDE 3.5.10 to Gnome 3 to cwm, currently on XFCE which suits me personally.

If you get put off by a few links to non-installed applications, then don't think much is going to help you.

OS X looks nice, but there are a few frustrations in there, too. And if your customers prefer the Windows experience, then it's no help - it's not Windows, it is different.

Anyway, everything is meant to be on the cloud, Web 2.0 (or is it 3.0), iOS, Android, etc. so no-one cares about the desktop anymore. Yeah, right!

Good luck!