Hi Patrick,

On 05/25/13 02:39, Patrick Mc(avery wrote:
Hi Richard

Actually I am not looking for a Windows clone, just a software-correct
GUI. I don't need much too. I need text input widgets and a way to
display graphs. The graphs could be grammatically created images that
are independent of the window manager and widget toolkit but simply
presented to the user.

I'm no expert, but based on this I'd say you're looking for a GUI framework, that is also build for code correctness, to write your application in. In that case you might look into the EFL[1][2] (Enlightenment Foundation Libraries). I haven't looked at the API myself, but from what I've read about it it's supposed to be (relatively) lightweight, cross-platform, modular, supports the more standardized ways of desktop communication, and is BSD licensed. Furthermore I have been using E17 (Enlightenment 17 desktop environment) for a while and I must say that I think it's one of the more visually calm and easy environments (but that's pure taste of course). It does run quite smoothly on my (old) OpenBSD laptop. Although I tested far from all the features, since I prefer to spent most of my time on the terminal (it must be a glitch of sort of mine).

It's not the most widely used framework, so it might give you some extra bloat and inconsistency in look for applications written in other frameworks, like GTK, Qt. The bloat shouldn't be any problem on modern systems and the inconsistency in looks are up to you to decide if that annoys you.

XFCE was okay on Linux but I still had some issues. XFCE on Fedora was a
train wreck.

It was really quite a lot of links to non-installed programs and it's
not about what I can sort though, it's that I want to present an open
source OS to people who have never used one. It has to follow the law of
least astonishment.

Hi good0Th

I don't really need prettiness but thanks for the post.

-Patrick