On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 12:48 AM, Patrick Mc(avery
<spell_gooder_...@spellingbeewinnars.org> wrote:
> I tried to load Fluxbox and was disappointed with it. It had several
> menubuttons for application that were not yet installed.

On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 2:39 AM, Patrick Mc(avery
<spell_gooder_...@spellingbeewinnars.org> wrote:
> It was really quite a lot of links to non-installed programs and it's not
> about what I can sort though, it's that I want to present an open source OS
> to people who have never used one.

You may supply your client with a configuration script or set of
patches for config files. This might eventually be easier then wasting
time on searching for an OS or linux distro with sane defaults.

On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 2:39 AM, Patrick Mc(avery
<spell_gooder_...@spellingbeewinnars.org> wrote:
> XFCE was okay on Linux but I still had some issues. XFCE on Fedora was a
> train wreck.

In my experience the desktop environments like GNOME, KDE, XFCE, LXDE,
etc are always train wrecks unless you take your time to properly
configure them.

P.S.:

On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 2:39 AM, Patrick Mc(avery
<spell_gooder_...@spellingbeewinnars.org> wrote:
> Actually I am not looking for a Windows clone, just a software-correct GUI.
<...>
> It has to follow the law of least astonishment.

There is a hidden contradiction here: if you want a smooth transition
for your clients, most likely you want Windows clone as a starting
point.

--
Dmitrij D. Czarkoff