Regarding samba... there's no need to automount samba folders because you
always can browse them via file browser (konqueror, thunar or nautilus),
but if you want you can mount them in /etc/fstab. Simply read the
documentation about permissions and syntax. It's very easy.

For NFS the best way is mount them in /etc/fstab too.

For external disks/pen drive, hotplug-diskmount, as Marc said, it's the
best option. This pretty tool automount the drives when inserted and
unmount when the drive is plugged off. If the drive is FAT you can extract
it before unmount it. For other systems different from FAT you must unmount
before extract.

BR

Jes