----- Original message -----
From Tomas Bodzar <tomas.bod...@gmail.com>
Sent   Wed Oct   9 2013 11:29:07 AM CEST
To g.lis...@nodeunit.com
Subject Re: Looking for good, small, canadian version laptop suggestions

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 12:14 AM, g.lister <g.lis...@nodeunit.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I am looking for some suggestions for a good, small quite laptop. I was
> looking at futureshop.ca and bestbuy.ca. I currently have an HP dv3 which
> runs OpenBSD 5.2 but it is veeerrrry loud some issue with keeping heat down
> it has i7 cores but I am willing to settle for a lot less threads and power
> I need it for some vim C coding and basic duties.

Really 5.2 version? Why don't you try latest relase or better current which
will have much better support of HW in your laptop.

I tried 5.3, first, and it installed OK but at boot it stops at "mtrr: Intel MTRR check" after that is normally the USB stuff. I am not sure but I think I have to go into some kernel debugger to get anywhere from there and I needed to have OpenBSD setup so I can poke around using Michael's book.

Anyway the laptop is noisy with Linux and Windows and I have tried disabling "fan always on" in the BIOS to no avail, it is basically either badly made or the BIOS is to be blamed or..., which is why I decided to see what other people are using as a laptop and draw some conclusion from that.

Thanks for reading.