J.C. Roberts wrote:

>On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 17:00:39 +0000, Michael Quaintance
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>JCR,
>>
>>/Please/ don't loose your verbosity.
>>
>>For newbies like me, your lengthy descriptions of why the OpenBSD
>>community thinks like it does are incredibly useful. Short, pithy
>>explanations like Tony's are great for people who already understand but
>>those of us just starting on our quest can often find them as cryptic as
>>the proverbs of Buddha.
>>

>Michael,
>
>Please do not mistake me and my opinions for the opinions of the OpenBSD
>community in general. OpenBSD users and developers actually thrive on
>the conflict of differing opinions; a reasonably friendly competition to
>figure out and prove both what works and what works best.
>
>More importantly, do not mistake my opinions as being those of an
>OpenBSD DEVELOPER. Though some of them might agree with me, others will
>not. The OpenBSD developers have their own community and social group
>which is private, exclusive and based on what you do. Unless you have
>the dedication it takes to do a *LOT* for the project you'll never know
>what their community is like. I'm not a developer and not part of their
>internal community but I do know it exists.
>
>I'm just a normal user who doesn't contribute a great deal to the
>project, so there is a *HUGE* difference between me and the people who
>actually have both the expertise and dedication needed to write quality
>code to improve the project. -To them, I'm just another loud mouth
>chatting away on misc@ rather than doing something more productive.
>
>Kind Regards,
>JCR

I'm going to take this thread for what I think it is... the old guard
telling us youngin's that our efforts are appreciated, but we've got a
bit more to learn about how things work, and how to write good
documentation, before we're really ready to jump into these things the
way we have been lately.  I've noticed a decent drop in the number of
"How do I get PPPoE working" and "How do I get Apache+MySQL+PHP working"
questions on the list, which is what prompted Daniel to create
openbsdsupport in the first place, so in a way, we've been successful in
what we set out to do.  That said, it's about time I revisited the
userland PPPoE doc I wrote a while back one last time and mark it as
obsolete, especially in light of the amazing pace that Can has been
keeping on the kernel interface, and how user-friendly the pppoe(8)
manpage is.

Call me a masochist, but I sorta like being clobbered over the head by
Theo and his team.  I learn more about how to do things right that way
than I ever have by picking up a book or guessing at what a doc was
trying to tell me.