On 15/01/14 08:25 AM, MJ wrote:
> On 15 Jan 2014, at 16.35, Gilles LAMIRAL <gilles.lami...@laposte.net>
wrote:

>> Dear Theo,
>>
>>> Don't we do enough?
>>
>> You already do too much.
>
> I have long held the opinion that Theo is probably the best coder on this
planet. That’s not any sort of ass-kissing, either, it’s my objective,
unbiased opinion. And I know Henning personally, as in “live and worked
together with him" - one hell of an expert.

> However, the dilemma that the project has found itself in now very clearly
demonstrates that Theo is not a businessman and that there isn’t any other
businessman at the helm, either. Imagining that people will suddenly start to
pay for something that they have constantly been getting for free is absurd -
their belief is that somebody else will surely step up first or somebody will
fork in the name of fame. No business on this planet is going to allocate
budget to paying OpenBSD’s electricity bills, let alone anything else, without
1) a detailed itemisation of the electrical bills, 2) a detailed justification
of said line items, and 3) a satisfaction of their own business interest. It’s
just not sexy for a philanthropist to support a relatively unheard of
operating system when cancer is still left uncured.

> It’s not good to be removing coders from their tasks; the project needs a
businessman or two. One who will handle the corporate feature requests and
charge dearly for them. Things like routing technology and high-speed packet
forwarding - things that can replace the exorbitant costs of maintaining cisco
routers. This is the key. With the FBSD 10GB wire speed packet forwarding
incorporated, OpenBSD would be ready to challenge Cisco in a very serious way.
Completely free as always, but with paid support for this edge cases that make
life what it is.

> Thanks Theo, Henning, and all of the rest of you.
>

> -mike

Hello

I am not an expert in computers; but administrator; and i think that the
previous view point is very logic.

Building OpenBSD is an investment (no direct retribution), and the
project is in need of something that give back or retributed the investment.

The key, are the services; hosting, virtualization, etc. Remember that
OpenBSD has been considered only for experts, and there are many no
experts who would like to use OpenBSD.

The other thing that could be applied is writing a manual (description
of how to do every thing on OpenBSD; we have very good documentation),
that could be sold every 6 month; writing the manual should be easy;
every 6 month, the changes are few things.

The other idea, is Members, every one of us could give five dollars per
month to keep the privilege of using OpenBSD; receiving information,
participating in the list, etc.

OK, it has been written with the idea of help in mind. I am thankful for
your effort.

Thanks

agrquinonez.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature which had
a name of signature.asc]