Your best option would be to backup data and configs, and reinstall fresh.
There are so many releases between 4.1 and 5.4 that you're going to spend a
lot of time just to get to -current or -stable 5.4, while you're still
gonna have to modify config files that have changes since 4.1 that it
probably wouldn't be worth the time and effort. As far as skipping
versions, first you're gonna have a lot of issues going straight from 4.1
to 5.4. If you just look at the changelogs between each version, you'll see
a lot of things have been removed or considered defunct, and configuration
for services may have changed dramatically (pf and softraid, for example).

Do yourself the favor and save the headaches by just reloading fresh and
porting over any configs.