On 2014-05-19, Mike Larkin <mlar...@azathoth.net> wrote:

> FWIW, I have 3 different uaudio dongles and they all work fine.

It depends on the layout of your USB bus, see "usbdevs -v".

On older systems with USB2, full speed devices will be attached
directly to a full speed root hub and the audio dongle will work.
Here's an example from a Thinkpad X40:

------------------->
Controller /dev/usb0:
addr 1: high speed, self powered, config 1, EHCI root hub(0x0000),
Intel(0x8086), rev 1.00
 port 1 powered
 port 2 powered
 port 3 powered
 port 4 powered
 port 5 powered
 port 6 powered
Controller /dev/usb1:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000),
Intel(0x8086), rev 1.00
 port 1 powered
 port 2 powered
Controller /dev/usb2:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000),
Intel(0x8086), rev 1.00
 port 1 addr 2: full speed, power 20 mA, config 1, USB Audio DAC(0x2704),
Burr-Brown from TI(0x08bb), rev 1.00
 port 2 powered
Controller /dev/usb3:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000),
Intel(0x8086), rev 1.00
 port 1 powered
 port 2 powered
<-------------------

On systems with newer Intel chipsets that support USB3, full speed
devices will be attached to a high speed rate-matching hub and the
audio dongle will not work.  I first noticed this on the Thinkpad
X230 but mostly forgot about it.  Here's an example from a PowerEdge
T20:

------------------->
Controller /dev/usb0:
addr 1: high speed, self powered, config 1, EHCI root hub(0x0000),
Intel(0x8086), rev 1.00
 port 1 addr 2: high speed, self powered, config 1, Rate Matching Hub(0x8008),
Intel(0x8087), rev 0.04
  port 1 addr 3: low speed, power 100 mA, config 1, product 0x1203(0x1203),
Holtek(0x04d9), rev 2.70
  port 2 addr 4: low speed, power 100 mA, config 1, TEMPer sensor(0x660c), Ten
X Technology, Inc.(0x1130), rev 1.50
  port 3 addr 5: full speed, power 20 mA, config 1, USB Audio DAC(0x2704),
Burr-Brown from TI(0x08bb), rev 1.00
  port 4 powered
  port 5 powered
  port 6 powered
 port 2 powered
 port 3 powered
Controller /dev/usb1:
addr 1: high speed, self powered, config 1, EHCI root hub(0x0000),
Intel(0x8086), rev 1.00
 port 1 addr 2: high speed, self powered, config 1, Rate Matching Hub(0x8000),
Intel(0x8087), rev 0.04
  port 1 powered
  port 2 powered
  port 3 powered
  port 4 powered
  port 5 powered
  port 6 powered
  port 7 powered
  port 8 powered
 port 2 powered
 port 3 powered
<-------------------

Yes, I tried all ten USB ports on that machine.  They're all routed
to one of the rate-matching hubs.

A potential workaround would be to plug a USB2 expansion card into
the box, depending on what the bus layout will be there.  I might
try that, but at the moment the single PCI slot is already occupied.

There should also be high speed USB audio devices, and possibly
asynchronous ones, but this kind of information is difficult to
discern from the packaging or the manual leaflets.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          na...@mips.inka.de