On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 11:06:10AM +0200, frantisek holop wrote:

> hmm, on Tue, May 27, 2014 at 07:14:49AM +0200, Otto Moerbeek said that
> > block size is between 4096 and 65536, fragment size between 512 and
> > block size.  Both are powers of 2, and block size can be 1, 2, 4, or 8
> > times fragments size. For media files -b 65536 -i 65536 is fine.
> >
> > If you still have too many inodes, I use -i to reduce the numbers of
> > inodes during newfs, unit is bytes per inode. Newfs reports what it is
> > doing, so you can see how many inodes you are getting.
> >
> > The numbers for -g -and -h matter only at runtime, they do not
> > influence the fs layout during newfs.
>
> i smell some great FAQ material here :)
>
> > [otto@lou:17]$ sudo newfs -N -i 1000000 -f 65536 -b 65536 /dev/rsd0l
>
> would there be an explicit advantage of using ffs2 in this case?
> is the biggest plus of ffs2 the increased size of all the limits
> and the fact that inodes are allocated only when needed?

I'd say that are the only plusses. But they are good enough ;-)

The FAQ already contains some material on these issues. I wondert if
adding more details would clarify things. Note that disklabel already
sets larger blocks sizes for larger partitions. That should do for
most uses, though it keeps 8 frags per block.

        -Otto