Ingo Schwarze said:
> While the article is old, the essence of what Schneier said here
> still stands, and it is not likely to fall in the future:
>
>   https://www.schneier.com/crypto-gram-0007.html#9

Sorry, but this article is mostly based on lack of understanding of
Unicode.

> that would directly run contrary to some of OpenBSD's most important
> project goals:  Correctness, simplicity, security.

Yes, Unicode is very complex.  Just complex enough that there is (to my
knowledge) no single application that does it right in every aspect.

That said, the standard provides just enough facilities to make
filesystem-related aspects of Unicode work nicely, particularily in case
of utf-8.  Eg. ability to enforce NFD for all operations on file names
could actually make several things more secure by preventing homograph
attacks.

Unfortunately, there is no realistic hope that NFD will be enforced by
every OS and filesystem out there any time soon, so at this stage file
names with bytes outside printable ASCII range will cause problems at
some point.  On my systems I limit filenames to [0-9A-Za-z~._/-] range.

--
Dmitrij D. Czarkoff