Joel Rees said:
>> That said, the standard provides just enough facilities to make
>> filesystem-related aspects of Unicode work nicely, particularily in case
>> of utf-8.  Eg. ability to enforce NFD for all operations on file names
>> could actually make several things more secure by preventing homograph
>> attacks.
>
> I think this assertion is a bit optimistic, and not just given your
> following caveat.

Provided that I have to cope with Unicode file names every day, I just
can't see more pessimistic approach then just allowing arbitrary Unicode
codepoints with no sanitization whatsoever.  Every now and then I have
to use printf(1) and xclip(1x) just because there is no other way to
address a file or identify all codepoints of its name.  From here I
don't see ability to enforce policy on Unicode strings as something as
useless as you put it.

--
Dmitrij D. Czarkoff