On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 9:09 PM, Dmitrij D. Czarkoff <czark...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anthony J. Bentley said:
>> > I haven't used Apple OSses since around 10.4, but Mac OS X was doing a
>> > thing where certain well-known directory names were aliased according to
>> > the current locale. For instance, the user's  "music" directory was shown
>> > as 「音楽」 when the locale was set to ja_JP.UTF-8.
>>
>> IMO this is totally crazy behavior and unrelated to the Unicode issue.
>
> GNOME does this too.  It goes even further - proposes to rename XDG
> directories if locale changes.  Most amusingly, if you happen run GNOME
> and Firefox with English locale and then switch to non-English locale,
> your GNOME will rename XDG directories to new locale defaults, and
> Firefox will re-create "~/Desktop".  I rarely have to deal with systems
> with non-English locales, but each and every time I have to, I get
> terrified with the changes since the last time.

8-/

One of the reasons I quit using gnome.

If there were a way of specifying the initial locale when you create a
new login id, that locale could specify the language to create these
directory names in, and then they should never change. My memory is
that you have to log in once to do that, however.

Maybe it would be better just to not make those directories until they
are needed by an application, and then ask the user to name them
instead of providing standard names.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful when you look at conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart,
and ask yourself if you are not your own worst enemy.
Arm yourself with knowledge of yourself, as well.