On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 11:13 PM, Dmitrij D. Czarkoff <czark...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Joel Rees said:
>> Hmm. What would you suggest doing with the following file name?
>>
>> /etc
>>
>> (You may need a Japanese font to display it.)
>>
>> If you try to normalize it on a *nix box, it will hopefully conflict
>> with your system file permissions. But, then what do you do with it?
>>
>> If you throw it away because it's non-normal, and it happens to have
>> the parts of the new marketing plan that didn't fit under some other
>> category, will the boss be okay with that?
>
> I am not sure I get you.  I proposed using NFD for filenames.  In system
> implementing that the filename you provide as example above would be
> stored as is, as it is already NFD and can't be further decomposed.  I
> never suggested NFKD as your message implies.

Very good.

Now, what would you do with this?

ジョエル

Why not decompose it to the following?

ジョエル

I know what the Unicode rules say, but my boss says, if I'm going to
play with file names, he wants it done his way. And the company across
the hall has a policy just a little different, but still not matching
Unicode rules.

You have to keep rules about making file names for internal use
separate from rules about storing filenames received, or the internal
system loses its meaning. What use are systems if you have to resort
to meaninglessness to use them?

;-P

--
Joel Rees

All truth is independent in that sphere in which God has placed it,
to act for itself, as all intelligence also;
otherwise there is no existence.