On 2015-04-02, Eric Furman <ericfur...@fastmail.net> wrote:
> I sometimes have to deal with PDF files (ugh) and all
> I need is the ability to view and print them, nothing
> fancy. With security in mind I would like to get opinions
> on the best one to use.

So outside of Adobe's software there are a couple of different codebases
for rendering PDFs. xpdf-derived (including Poppler), mupdf, iText
(java one, mostly used in pdf manipulation programs), ghostscript. For
open-source viewers, most are based on either poppler or mupdf. I'm not
sure whether the in-browser renderers are based on these or something
else, and likewise I don't know what code is used by printers that have
direct pdf print support.

Historically the xpdf/poppler code has shown up quite a few
security-related bugs. mupdf has seen fewer but it's less widely used so
may not have seen so much effort spent trying to break it. mupdf has a
library, used by its own viewer and some other pdf viewers, e.g. zathura
has it as an option. (I normally use mupdf's own viewer and if I didn't
I would normally try to use something using that library unless I ran
into some incompatibility).

I haven't noticed any of the different viewers having any particular
security-related features so within a particular library, I don't think
there's a big reason to choose one viewer over another at the moment.

Given the sort of data they're handling, it would be really nice if
viewers had sandboxing for the parser/renderer...