--On Monday, August 24, 2015 12:27:06 AM +0000 Stuart Henderson <s...@spacehopper.org> wrote:

Having NFS rely on DNS is not ideal. I don't see why dhcpd would
need DNS to run at all?

If you have a 'fixed-address' definition in a 'host' block, and
the fixed-address uses a FQDN rather than an IP, you will have
problems booting the DHCP server if no DNS server is reachable.
IIRC, the DHCP daemon will fail to start and as a consequence
the server takes a lot longer to come up.

This burned me in the past after cold restart of everything on the
network, where the internal DNS servers come up slower than the
DHCP server.

A solution of course is to use an IP in the fixed-address definition.

Devin