Works fine.  No major caveats that I'm aware of.

>Guest Operating System: should I pick "Other (64bit)" or FreeBSD?

Currently "Other 64-bit" seems to be the way to go for me.  This has
varied a bit for me in the past.  "FreeBSD 64-bit" was my choice for
some time, then between about the 4.8 and 5.2 timeframe something
happened (not sure whether it was with VMWare or OpenBSD, but I began
having instability in my OpenBSD systems.  Random weird crashes.
Switched the OS selection to "Other 64-bit" and my problems went
away.  Rock solid stable now.  Conversely, I think the opposite was
also true at one point.  I used to run in "Other" mode and then a
upgraded  to  a  new  OpenBSD  version  and  began experiencing
instability.  Flipping to "FreeBSD" solved the issue for me then.  My
point in describing this is that so far, for me, changing the OS
setting between "FreeBSD" and "Other" has been the single most
important factor in determining the stability of OpenBSD on VMWare.

>How does OpenBSD work with "virtual sockets" and "cores per virtual
>socket"?

It just works.  Just like it does with physical cores.  Make sure
you select the .MP kernel if you want to take advantage of more than
one core/CPU in your OpenBSD VM.

>What is the best NIC? E1000, E1000E, VMXNET2 ENHANCED or VMXNET3?

I ran E1000 for years, no issue.  I converted to VMXNET3 around the
5.4 timeframe and haven't looked back.  Both are solid and both work
fine for my needs.

>What is the recommended SCSI Controller? LSI Logic Parallel, LSI
>Logic SAS
>or VMware Paravirtual?

I always use the suggested default for the OS type I select, which is
LSI Logic Parallel.  I've never seen the need, nor advantage to
changing it.

>I'd believe that all of these options work... I just don't know which
>is
>more stable or perform better.
>Any other tips on fine tunning or special setting?

As I said above, watch the "FreeBSD" "Other" setting.  If you upgrade
OpenBSD or patch VMWare and start getting crashes in OpenBSD try the
other OS setting for the guest VM.

>I'm planning on migrating a few Soekris boxes to virtual machines. Is
>this
>reliable? Is anyone running production OpenBSD servers on VMware?
>Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't call it "production" but I have OpenBSD guest VMs running
on VMWare 5.5 24x7 in my home lab.  They are solid and only go down,
when I tell them to.  Mind you, they don't get worked hard, it is only
a small home lab.  For my needs and in my setup, they are rock solid.

Hope that helps,

Rodney

Free E-mail by CamaroZ28.Com - FULL THROTTLE INTERNET