On 12/01/15 13:32, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> On 2015-12-01, Reyk Floeter <r...@openbsd.org> wrote:
>>> What is the recommended SCSI Controller? LSI Logic Parallel, LSI Logic SAS
>>> or VMware Paravirtual?
>>
>> LSI Logic SAS                - mpi(4)
>> VMware Paravirtual   - vmwpvs(4)
>>
>> Use LSI Logic SAS.  The VMware Paravirtual has bugs that might corrupt
>> your data (seen with fsck).
>
> It just seems to drop the first write to a virtual disk. (Not "first after
> boot",
> but "first ever after attaching the disk to vmwpvs" (where "attaching"
> includes
> "changing the disk from another controller type to paravirtual").
>
> YMMV but I interrupt the installer early and 'fdisk -iy sd0', resume the
> install
> and haven't run into any problem.

Well, I have.
Nasty, repeatable problems bringing up VMs after hard shutdowns/restarts
(my local power company gave me a couple of those right after setting up
my VMware host).

fsck runs...writes changes out to disk, but misses the first write, so
root ends up being read-only, which is quite annoying when not expecting
it.  Not impossible (though a little odd) to fix, certainly, but much
more than you want to do in a production environment after an "event",
and heaven (and a few assistants) help you if you have 100 VMs to bring
back up.

Not to mention the idea of having the first write of an fsck just
mysteriously not happen kinda creeps me out.  I'm not a FS guy, but it
seems to me that skipping the occasional write, or even just the first
write, isn't going to improve data integrity. :)

Nick.