> Hi Rodrigo,
>
> redirected to misc@, this is off-topic on tech@.

OK, my fault

> Rodrigo Mosconi wrote on Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 06:54:32PM -0200:
>
> > I would like to receive some help/mentoring. I`m cursing a master degree
> > course at PUC-Rio, and I need to "create a useful program that performs a
> > service of interest to anyone other than exsively the student." So I
> would
> > like to create something to the openbsd project.
> >
> > I would like to know in which areas need some work?  I have partial time
> > work on it and only this half year to do it.  Some of the old google
> summer
> > of code is still need?  There are some need to a new daemon, or replace
> an
> > old one, aligned with the openbsd style ( configuration files, privsep,
> > plegde)?
>
> For a beginner, it's usually easier to do bugfixing in high-qualitive
> existing code than to do full-scale auditing or refactoring in
> low-quality existing code, and for a beginner, it is even harder
> to write new high-quality code from scratch.  So to anyone considering
> similar projects, make sure that you start regularly finding bugs
> and sending patches to fix them at least one year before you want
> to do a project that involves writing a new program for OpenBSD
> from scratch.  Otherwise, it's gonna be tough.
>
> Besides, we have a hard time advising people what they could do if
> we don't know what they are capable of.  "Master student at a
> university" doesn't mean a lot.

I only said about the curse, because simple patchs aren`t allow to this
discipline.
 I must develop the specification, the project, write the code, document
it, implement
tests, write user documentation.

> There are people who don't study
> anything, suddenly pop up out of nowhere, and do good work right
> away.  There are people with a degree who fail even at simple tasks.
> Rodrigo, according to the ChangeLog, you worked on cwm(1) and
> cfengine so far.  Given that amount of public information, the only
> person who can judge your skills is yourself.
>
> I also worked with zeromq/czmq upstream.  In my last job I worked as
developer and made some company products

> We sometimes say "/usr/bin/" is full, meaning that adding additional
> programs doesn't necessarily make the system better.  If done without
> good reason, it just makes the system larger and less simple.
> Consequently, finding a project of the kind "write a new program"
> is about ten times harder than finding a project of the kind "improve
> an existing program", even for an experienced developer.
>
> All that said, there _are_ some programs that need to be rewritten.
> The one that is most sorely missing is ppp(8), a PPP client program.
> That may not be a simple task, and it may not be easy to find a
> mentor.  The people most knowledgable in that area live in Japan,
> they are very focussed and very hard-working people, and they are
> *very* busy.
>
> There is other stuff that requires rewriting, in alphabetical order:
>
>  * adduser(8)/useradd(8):
>    Needs to be unified into one single program and cleaned up.

re-enginered programs are allowed as subject.

>  * dig(8)/nslookup(8)/host(8):
>    A simpler replacement not using external libraries would be useful.

 re-enginered programs are allowed as subject.

 * ftp(8) is very old and suffering from bitrot; the last attempt to
>    rewrite it trickled out with no obvious conclusion, i don't
>    exactly know why.

ftp client or ftp server?

>  * ldapd(8) is decent code, but sorely lacks a maintainer.

re-enginered programs are allowed as subject.

>  * ldappasswd(1) would be nice to have.

"simple" but usefull

>  * lpd(8)/lpc(8)/lpr(1) is very old and suffering from bitrot.

I didn`t used lp?, so I skip to work on these

>  * traceroute(8) needs to be extended by the functionality of
>    tcptraceroute.
>
> Some GSOC projects may still be relevant, but one has to admit that
> it is rare that GSOC projects produce code that actually gets
> committed.  Even among those that succeeded, only a minority produced
> code good enough to actually get used.  If people look for a project
> rather than simply working on what they are interested in, chances
> for success are quite slim.

I`m looking a interesting project. I will ask to my mentor if the useradd
or dns clients
can be used as subject. The ldapd probabily is.

> That said, don't despair, but you really need to be able to
> realistically judge your own skills and interests, make up your own
> mind, and take initiative.

I will look for the ldap family first.  As user, I have a need for then:
the "server"
and the "client" part.