> Do you know any MegaRaid that a) supports that, b) is modern and not
archaic, and c) is supported by OpenBSD?

It appears the MFI driver provides support for the MegaRAID SAS 9260-8i

Pleas note I’ve not tested the 9260-8i on openbsd

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi/OpenBSD-current/man4/mfi.4
<http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi/OpenBSD-current/man4/mfi.4>

My current understanding is that Cache Cade is licensed add-on for the 9260-8i
that can be configured in the RAID bios.

http://www.avagotech.com/products/server-storage/raid-controllers/megaraid-ca
checade-pro-software#specifications
<http://www.avagotech.com/products/server-storage/raid-controllers/megaraid-c
achecade-pro-software#specifications>

http://www.avagotech.com/products/server-storage/raid-controllers/megaraid-sa
s-9260-8i
<http://www.avagotech.com/products/server-storage/raid-controllers/megaraid-s
as-9260-8i>

> I was mostly considering read acceleration.

Read Ahead caching is supported by the 9260-8i this essentially caches to
onboard DRAM contiguous blocks if the controllers algorithm determines they
will be needed.

> Can you give a practical example of this?
> )

A RAID 10 with four disks running enterprise Intel SSD disk drives with
MegaRAID disk caching enabled, Essentially the Intel Enterprise SSD on board
cache augments the NAND flash. Fault tolerance is provided by a
“capacitor” that flushes the cache to disk after a power loss..