On Mon, 04 Jul 2016, Marc Espie <es...@nerim.net> wrote:
> YES, they're all wrong. There's a BIG difference between running new
> shitz in a test setup vs running "bleeding edge" in production.

I think we're confusing two different concepts here... Latest stable
release (with most recent security patches) vs following bleeding edge.

Former is almost always what you want in production. There might be only
one exception: known new bug in the patch. If such a thing is common, I
guess that's really a problem with the process, not with the packaging
infrastructure...

Bleeding edge has its place too. Even reasonable people do it in
non-critical environments, to check out changes before they're surprised
in the next release, or give feedback to the OS developers / packaging
team.

> That's the large problem with the current devops/container culture.

If you're unhappy with this culture, do something to affect it in a
positive way. Devs at my $WORK know not to curl | sudo bash, because
we've had several chit-chats about what's OK and what's not, and why.

K.