Hi all,

I've had a server with corenetworks for quite a few years now but after changes at corenetworks (their recent name change after acquisition by another company, no current servers available, no communication about the change of ownership with existing customers and an email exchange with sales@), I've decided it is best jump ship now rather than wait for a hard and possibly immediate deadline.

I've just rented a server with 8GB of ram from m5hosting (based in large part from the many recommendations I read while searching misc@ on marc.info). Now the question is: i386 which is what I've always run on my 2 GB ram server, or amd64? http://www.openbsd.org/amd64.html and http://www.openbsd.org/i386.html are curiously silent on the amount of ram that can be accessed. If I have 8GB, I for sure want to use it all.

I know there was a time when i386 was limited to the amount of ram it can access (32 bit) but now amd64 has this caveat: "(Some Intel processors lack support for important PAE NX bit, which means those machines will run without any W^X support -- it is thus safer to run those machines in i386 mode)." How does this fit with the recent work in 6.0+? How can I tell if the Xeon 3220 processor has the PAE NX bit? I see nothing in the tech sheet about PAE NX. http://ark.intel.com/products/28034/Intel-Xeon-Processor-X3220-8M-Cache-2_40-GHz-1066-MHz-FSB

I have a little less than 2 weeks to make the transition so not a lot of time for install and try.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions--dmesgs supplied once I get access.

Jeff Ross

Open Vistas Networking