To clarify, from what I remember, killing linux compat was not
a political decision per-se ("emulation is bad").

Rather, it is that the emulation was 32 bits-only, and more and
more out-of-date so completelely useless, and also not really
very maintained, so it amounted to more code with possible nasty
bugs and holes, on a subsystem that wasn't useable anymore.

It is very unlikely it will come back, because it would require
someone to do a lot of work to actually make it useful.

In my opinion, there's more chance vmm will eventually be mature
enough to run a virtual linux machine than the return of userland
linux emulation.