Am 03/07/17 um 22:43 schrieb Ingo Schwarze:
> Hi,
>
> Stefan Wollny wrote on Tue, Mar 07, 2017 at 10:01:49PM +0100:
>
>> ANY chance that there will be a way to run Linux binaries again?
>
> Usually, i'm wary of making definite statements about the future,
> but in this case, a clear "NO" semms like a very safe bet.
>
> Syscall compat layers cause maintenance effort, risk of bugs, and
> provide absolutely no benefit with respect to the project goals.
> So even if somebody would submit a perfect, clean implementation
> and credibly volunteer to maintain it, i don't think it would stand
> a chance of getting committed.
>

> Regarding your task at hand:
>
> If you want to run MS Word, your best bet is running MS Windows.
> If you want to run binary-only Linux software, your best bet is
> running Linux.  Ideally, on dedicated hardware that is not
> connected to the Internet.
>
> Some people run such systems they need for special non-Internet
> tasks in virtual machines.  I wouldn't recommend that, though.
> Separate, physically disconnected hardware is safer and faster.
> If you create documents for paying clients, buying the required
> hardware is likely to quickly amortize - or if not, you have
> worse problems with your business model than the choice of the
> operating system best suited to each of your tasks.
>
> Yours,
>   Ingo

Hi Ingo,

thanks for your quick reply - I am aware of the good reasons to abandon
Linux-compat - not going to question this. Nevertheless tonight I need
to work on a 50+ pages Word-doc and the only tool at hand is LibreOffice
which ... <words cannot express my frustration>.

Using "Windoof" is not an option for me - it feels like my system
getting cancer. SoftMaker's Linux-based Word-clone is a proven good and
acceptable alternative as it's compatibility with Word (in particular
with formats) is exceptionally good (closed source with a decent price
and page 49 IS page 49!

Will it eventually be possible to run a Linux system with OpenBSD's
vmm(4)? Even though this might be considered to be just a "second class"
solution to my quest - it would allow me to stay with OpenBSD, only
going the Linux-way for specific tasks inside.

Best,
STEFAN