On July 28, 2017 at 3:37:18 PM, Hamza Sheikh (fehr...@codeghar.com) wrote:

I went through the process of creating an OpenBSD-based gateway for my
home network (IPv4 and IPv6). Learned a lot and documented my setup in
a blog post[0]. Maybe it can help troubleshoot your IPv6 setup. Pay
special attention to these sections: (a) cnmac0; (b) dhcp6c; (c) The
"Wrong" Config.

[0] http://codeghar.com/blog/openbsd-network-gateway-on-edgerouter-lite.html

I had been trying wide-dhcpv6—even with no firewall rules enabled, it erred
out—“no route to host” and some other info. I expected that this had to do
with `rtsol` or `inet6 autoconf` not working properly in hostname.em0—but
according to your blog post, it was likely a misconfiguration on my part.

After Mr Archer’s post, instead of giving dhcpcd a shot I tried
isc-dhcp-client—firewall off, it immediately pulled down an ip6 address
from Cox. After making some adjustments to the firewall, it could pull down
one with it enabled as well. Still have a few things to work out now, but
this is a great start!

Thanks for the input guys!

One question…

What would be necessary to bake this functionality into OpenBSD base? IPv6
is pretty ubiquitous nowadays—most ISPs support it, most cloud providers
support it—it seems common enough that much of this functionality should
just work.

I know that “common enough” isn’t a good reason to implement features or
functionality, it just seems like a core capability that should be present.

When I was researching how to set this up, I found many different ways to
do so—some of the information was clearly dated, others not so much. It
would be great to have just configure this via hostname.em0 (or whichever
interface) and have it work.

I’m fairly new to OpenBSD but if there’s something I can do to help with
this, I’m happy to do so if it's within my skillset.