On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 07:49:07PM +0200, Bogdan Hojda wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I'm not sure if this the right place to post this question, but I
> couldn't find any other better list.
>
> My problem is that I recently changed my OS on a i386 router from Linux
> to OpenBSD (3.8). On that router I run Quagga and now I want to switch
> to OpenBGPD, but I have problems "translating" zebra's bgpd.conf to
> OpenBGPD.
>
> The zebra's /etc/zebra/bgpd.conf is:
>
> >!
> >! Zebra configuration saved from vty
> >!   2006/01/25 05:12:14
> >!
> >hostname router
> >password secret
> >enable password secret

No longer needed in bgpd.

> >!
> >router bgp xxx66
> > bgp router-id 82.xxx.xxx.xxx

In normal cases you don't need to set the router-id.

> > network 86.aaa.bbb.ccc/21
> > redistribute kernel
> > redistribute static
> > redistribute connected

Do you realy want to redistribute everything. That is super evil.

> > neighbor 82.xxx.xxx.yyy remote-as ab08
> > neighbor 82.xxx.xxx.yyy description MyISP
> > neighbor 82.xxx.xxx.yyy weight 100
> > neighbor 82.xxx.xxx.yyy route-map rm-myisp-out out
> >!
> >route-map rm-myisp-out permit 100
> > set local-preference 110

Setting local-pref in an outgoing route-map to a EBGP peer is a NOP.
Local-pref is a non transitive attribute.

> > set community ab08:1000 ab08:2000
> > set ip next-hop peer-address
> >!
> >line vty
> >!
>
> I tried the following configuration in OpenBGP's /etc/bgpd.conf, with no
> success:
>
> ># macros
> >MyISP="82.xxx.xxx.yyy"
> >
> ># global configuration
> >AS xxx66
> >router-id 82.xxx.xxx.xxx
> >listen on 82.xxx.xxx.xxx
> >log updates
> >network 86.aaa.bbb.ccc/21

Till here looks fine. But as Henning said router-id and listen on are
superfluous

> ># neighbors and peers
> >neighbor $MyISP {
> >     remote-as ab08
> >     descr MyISP
> >     holdtime 180
> >     holdtime min 3
> >     announce self
> >     set localpref 110
> >     set community ab08:1000
> >     set community ab08:2000
> >}

This is not doing what you think it should. set community ab08:1000 works
on incomming announcements and not on stuff you announce.

So either you do a
network 86.aaa.bbb.ccc/21 set { community ab08:1000 community ab08:2000 }

or use a filter

match to $MyISP set { community ab08:1000 community ab08:2000 }

> ># filter out prefixes longer than 24 or shorter than 8 bits
> >deny from any
> >allow from any prefixlen 8 - 24
> >
> ># do not accept a default route
> >deny from any prefix 0.0.0.0/0
> >
> ># filter bogus networks
> >deny from any prefix 10.0.0.0/8 prefixlen >= 8
> >[...]
>
> With this configuration (OpenBGPD) it seems that I receive only routes
> within MyISP AS (ab08); with zebra (running on the very same machine)
> everything runs smoothly.

??? That means you only get a handful of routes instead of the 175k full
view? Perhaps including part of a bgpctl show rib would help.

> Is there anything I should try, or I should use good-old zebra (quagga)?

nope.

--
:wq Claudio