Slightly related, I have a CanoScan LiDE 100 that used to work great with
OpenBSD, using either ScanImage or simple-scan. It's detected, but sometime
around OpenBSD-5.6 it stopped working. I use it infrequently enough, and I
have enough computers that I usually just give up and have my wife use her
Windows laptop to scan for me. I have a slightly vested interest in having
my only scanner work with my main daily desktop/laptop OS.

I'll try installing some old versions of OpenBSD and see if I can find
where it broke, and post dmesg's of the before/after mess, if anyone thinks
that would help.