Hi,

>> [...]
>> The last part of my question concerns caching chromium data in /tmp.
>> I have read that the OpenBSD chromium port has been "pledged" and
>> "unveiled". Does this have any influence over whether I can run
>> chrome --disk-cache/dir=/tmp/chrome?
>> [...]

I don't know about the specifics of telling chrome to cache in
/tmp/chrome, but FWIW, I have a 2G MFS mounted to ~/.cache. It seems to
work fine that way.

> [...]
> main difference between mfs and tmpfs. mfs is a ffs mounted from memory and
> will use the memory reserved for it, while tmpfs will use memory only when
> it's
> really used. If you give 500 MB to mfs, it will be instantly used in your
> memory, even if you have 0 file in it.
> [...]

Small correction, the mount_mfs process that backs the MFS file system
has 500MB allocated, but the pages are not immediately used. You can see
that in top (use `g` to filter for `mount_mfs`). The processes have SIZE
corrosponding to the specified file system size and RES corrosponding to
the amount of space that was actually touched by FS operations.

Solene's right though in that space once used on an MFS is only released
when the MFS is unmounted.

--
        Gregor